Amy Johnson

My idea for my Amy Johnson project was to show information about her and her journey. I first made a few designs before deciding on how I wanted her to look. I also tried collaging her in with a map and train tickets, I liked at how the map turned out since it looks clearer.



My idea was to animate her getting to her plane, then she would fly the same route she took. The way she would fly would look similar to how it looks in the Indian Jones map part. It would also show some of the different things she did while she was doing this, such as when she met new people or had to fix her plane

These are a few test ideas of how she would move

Mask movements

This is how the animation should end up looking like. I was told to add more to the masks so instead of fully animating the masks I made the basic idea movement for them. I did it by itself at first then added the hand movements in. I then did a character that would help the mask show the current feeling it was showing. At first I made the character move to see how it would look, after that I put the two together to see how they would look together.




FMP – Extra little things

In order to make the mask look less like a mask with manikin hands and more person like, I decided to add some string onto the mask to make it seem it has some hair. I coloured the string in the same promarkers I use for her face.

I have also painted in the gloves, this was to make them look more like gloves you would wear on a night out rather then something used for surgery. I couldn’t decide if I wanted them black or red, I gave the colours a quick test and thought the black fit better. Since I am going to use black gloves the materials I’ll be using for her dress will be red.

Just wanted to add for the time being this will be the background i’m using for the speed date.

Also another thing that I haven’t said about my idea, is that before I decided on using masks I was thinking about drawing the idea instead. Rather then one person dealing with a date it would have been a few monsters and people based on real people (example-Bonnie & Clyde)dealing with different emotion dates (example – one date good another date bad). However this was only note written since people along with myself like the mask idea better.

Hand movement

With the expressions it was also suggested that hand movements should be involved as well. I found some surgical gloves and stuffed them with paper. I then tried two different ways they could be animated. One was using string and the other was by using bamboo sticks. I also used a third option which involved a manikin hand. Out of all of them the hand was the better one to use, the bamboo sticks were also good to use, they just needed a better way to handle smother movement. The string however wasn’t helpful at all, I think the way it was tied up didn’t help however the other two ways were far more useful.



I have picked the manikin hand for the movements and for the person/mask date. This is because this way is easy to move around and looks more smooth then the others.

Masks

At first I was going to make the expressions from something then stick them on the mask. I scrunched up some paper and stuck them around the different eyes and mouth. I coloured them in with pencil but it hardly showed up. I also tried using Photoshop to colour them in but no detail could be seen.

While doing this I realised that I didn’t decided what I was going to use to colour and add detail in, as well as how I would be making the masks.





Tests on Masks

With the help of the manikin I made a couple of masks. One was painted so I could get a better idea of how bolder expressions looked on something coloured. The other one I didn’t paint, this was so I could test out some lights on it.



While I do like at how the lights look, the idea was talked about and decided that it wouldn’t work as well as I thought it might look.
I have also made some more masks, this was to play around with a few ideas and see if anything interesting happened with it.

Tests / sets

When I first made the sets they were just simple, these were first used to make sure the idea would look ok. I then thought about just using them and photo shopped details later but that would of taken too long. I decided to get different types of paper design and use them for the walls and floor. Some of the things I used were printed and then stuck on, the rest of the props were bought.

Before
1
89101112131415161718

After
234567

These were just some tests to see if I could make the doll look as if it was coming out of the mirror. Also just to see how the doors opening would look. I’ve decided for the door however that instead of opening it, it will fade to black. The reason for this is because of how I’ve made the rooms, also I find that this makes it a bit more creepy.

Non Fiction – Boxes

For my non fiction, I have chosen the events and how I plan to create it. I will be using the box idea. First I decided on which box I wanted to use, this was done by getting different types and testing them. The first thing I noticed about these is that the plastic one is not photogenic, you can barely see it when a photo is taken. This is why straight away I knew it wouldn’t work in this project since the box had to be seen. boxtry1
boxtry4boxtry3boxtry2boxtry5boxtry6
Also while deciding on the type of box I wanted to use, I tested to see how they would move. Since the boxes moved when the year changed this was important to figure out. It also helped me by showing me how the chosen box would move and how it would be animated.
After trying these out I have decided which one I would like to use. The reason I chose the first box idea is because I felt like that would work out better in capturing the idea of time since it drops in and has more sense of direction rather then the stiffness the other ones gave.