This is how I made the masks that the manikin head wears
First I wrapped a pair a manikin heads in cling film, this was so when I used the kitchen roll to make the mask it wouldn’t stick to the head and damage the mask or mark the head. I did this on both sides so I could get four masks once they finally dried. I did try covering the whole face however it fell apart and didn’t stay together.
Once the mask was ready I used a pencil to outline the eyes and lips. I then used pro markers to go over the pencil and colour the mask in.
This is how the animation should end up looking like. I was told to add more to the masks so instead of fully animating the masks I made the basic idea movement for them. I did it by itself at first then added the hand movements in. I then did a character that would help the mask show the current feeling it was showing. At first I made the character move to see how it would look, after that I put the two together to see how they would look together.
This is the storyboard I have for my animation. Before I could do this properly I needed to decide on what she would feel and a basic idea of what order it should be in. This is how it turned out.
Also while I do have a lot of masks ready to be sorted, the storyboard gave me a better idea of how many masks I should be needing for this project.
In order to make the mask look less like a mask with manikin hands and more person like, I decided to add some string onto the mask to make it seem it has some hair. I coloured the string in the same promarkers I use for her face.
I have also painted in the gloves, this was to make them look more like gloves you would wear on a night out rather then something used for surgery. I couldn’t decide if I wanted them black or red, I gave the colours a quick test and thought the black fit better. Since I am going to use black gloves the materials I’ll be using for her dress will be red.
Just wanted to add for the time being this will be the background i’m using for the speed date.
Also another thing that I haven’t said about my idea, is that before I decided on using masks I was thinking about drawing the idea instead. Rather then one person dealing with a date it would have been a few monsters and people based on real people (example-Bonnie & Clyde)dealing with different emotion dates (example – one date good another date bad). However this was only note written since people along with myself like the mask idea better.
With the expressions it was also suggested that hand movements should be involved as well. I found some surgical gloves and stuffed them with paper. I then tried two different ways they could be animated. One was using string and the other was by using bamboo sticks. I also used a third option which involved a manikin hand. Out of all of them the hand was the better one to use, the bamboo sticks were also good to use, they just needed a better way to handle smother movement. The string however wasn’t helpful at all, I think the way it was tied up didn’t help however the other two ways were far more useful.
I have picked the manikin hand for the movements and for the person/mask date. This is because this way is easy to move around and looks more smooth then the others.
At first I was going to make the expressions from something then stick them on the mask. I scrunched up some paper and stuck them around the different eyes and mouth. I coloured them in with pencil but it hardly showed up. I also tried using Photoshop to colour them in but no detail could be seen.
While doing this I realised that I didn’t decided what I was going to use to colour and add detail in, as well as how I would be making the masks.
With the help of the manikin I made a couple of masks. One was painted so I could get a better idea of how bolder expressions looked on something coloured. The other one I didn’t paint, this was so I could test out some lights on it.
While I do like at how the lights look, the idea was talked about and decided that it wouldn’t work as well as I thought it might look.
I have also made some more masks, this was to play around with a few ideas and see if anything interesting happened with it.