This is the storyboard I have for my animation. Before I could do this properly I needed to decide on what she would feel and a basic idea of what order it should be in. This is how it turned out.

Also while I do have a lot of masks ready to be sorted, the storyboard gave me a better idea of how many masks I should be needing for this project.


FMP – Extra little things

In order to make the mask look less like a mask with manikin hands and more person like, I decided to add some string onto the mask to make it seem it has some hair. I coloured the string in the same promarkers I use for her face.

I have also painted in the gloves, this was to make them look more like gloves you would wear on a night out rather then something used for surgery. I couldn’t decide if I wanted them black or red, I gave the colours a quick test and thought the black fit better. Since I am going to use black gloves the materials I’ll be using for her dress will be red.

Just wanted to add for the time being this will be the background i’m using for the speed date.

Also another thing that I haven’t said about my idea, is that before I decided on using masks I was thinking about drawing the idea instead. Rather then one person dealing with a date it would have been a few monsters and people based on real people (example-Bonnie & Clyde)dealing with different emotion dates (example – one date good another date bad). However this was only note written since people along with myself like the mask idea better.

Hand movement

With the expressions it was also suggested that hand movements should be involved as well. I found some surgical gloves and stuffed them with paper. I then tried two different ways they could be animated. One was using string and the other was by using bamboo sticks. I also used a third option which involved a manikin hand. Out of all of them the hand was the better one to use, the bamboo sticks were also good to use, they just needed a better way to handle smother movement. The string however wasn’t helpful at all, I think the way it was tied up didn’t help however the other two ways were far more useful.

I have picked the manikin hand for the movements and for the person/mask date. This is because this way is easy to move around and looks more smooth then the others.


At first I was going to make the expressions from something then stick them on the mask. I scrunched up some paper and stuck them around the different eyes and mouth. I coloured them in with pencil but it hardly showed up. I also tried using Photoshop to colour them in but no detail could be seen.

While doing this I realised that I didn’t decided what I was going to use to colour and add detail in, as well as how I would be making the masks.

Tests on Masks

With the help of the manikin I made a couple of masks. One was painted so I could get a better idea of how bolder expressions looked on something coloured. The other one I didn’t paint, this was so I could test out some lights on it.

While I do like at how the lights look, the idea was talked about and decided that it wouldn’t work as well as I thought it might look.
I have also made some more masks, this was to play around with a few ideas and see if anything interesting happened with it.


For my FMP I will be doing a speed dating scenario that will focus on the expressions on the main character. At first the idea was going to be about a little witch who found a broom racing contest and decided to enter, however she had to learn how to ride one. The outcome was undecided on if she would win or not. When I explain my idea, I was told that it sounded like it was going into two different directions. I had to decide if I wanted the witch idea or the emotions idea, I went for the emotions since I felt I could get a lot more out of it. Before I decided on what I was going to do, I did a few quick drawings of how some of the minor characters might look for the witch idea.

The idea of mainly focusing on expressions comes from the idea that actions speak loader then words. That you can say you’re feeling fine but you really feel fed up with the world.

Once this idea was sorted I found and got a manikin head, I made eyes and a mouth for it but it was considered too detailed. Less detailed features were made and were used, I also used some cloth for its hair. I also used a doll face to see how that would turn out.

I was also recommended to look at Dave McKean and his masks. I like at how different and unique they are.